Basic Search gives you quick, simple and reliable access to the GetStock Collection. Search by keyword, image number or photographer's name and get the results you need. Ready to start your Basic Search? Click here.
Below is more information about using a Keyword, Image Number or Photographer's Name to find the images you are looking for:
Keyword (for example: Women)
Enter any word or words in the Keyword field and the search engine will return the images that match your keyword(s). Each GetStock image has very specific information associated with it, like a caption, country, state, season, weather, time of day, mood, concepts, and color description. The search engine combs through this information to find matches to your keywords.
Image Number (for example: 5000106001)
Enter an image number image in the Image Number field and the search engine will return the image you are looking for. Each image in GetStock collection has a specific identification number. This feature is great for re-visiting a familiar image or locating an image on the suggestion of a friend or co-worker.
Enter a photographer's name when you only want to see GetStock images by that photographer. Every photographer who has images in GetStock on-line collection will appear in the Photographer's List. Searching by a photographer's name is a quick way to explore the images of a particular photographer.
Basic Search will return images that contain all the words you have type into the keyword field. You can use Exact Keyword Searches and Logical Operators to refine your searches.
If you search returns no results you will be provided with a list of similar keywords, categories and concepts that will link you to similar images.
back to top
Exact Keyword Search
What if your search returns too many results? When this happens, we suggest doing an Exact Keyword Search by putting quotation marks around the word you are searching for (for example, "keyword"). GetStock search engine will ONLY return images containing that exact word in the descriptions. For example: If you search for "fun" the search engine will "NOT" return images with "fungus" in the description.
back to top
When your search results are either too specific or not as specific as you want, you have several options. In addition to trying Power Search or Exact Keyword Search, you can use a Logical Operator to modify your search keywords. Logical Operators are linking words like AND, OR and NOT, which combine the criteria and allow you to narrow or broaden your search. Enter a Logical Operator with your keywords as part of a Basic Search.
Use AND, OR and NOT in the following ways for the best results:
Search for: women AND children and the search engine will return images with the word women AND the word
children in their descriptions.
Search for challenge OR competition and the search engine will return images with the word challenge OR the word
competition in their description.
Search for old NOT ancient and the search engine will return images that contain the word old and NOT the
word ancient in their description.
back to top
Terms and Conditions of Use
Getstock Website Terms and Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using getstock.com ("Website"). Using this Website indicates that you accept these terms and conditions. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, do not use this Website.
These terms and conditions constitute a legal agreement between you and Toronto Star Newspapers Limited o/a Getstock ("Getstock"). Please read this agreement in its entirety before you continue to use this Website or download any image. If you do not agree, discontinue using the Website. We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions from time to time by updating this posting. Please check the terms and conditions periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Website following the posting of these terms and conditions will mean you accept those changes.
1. The images and information on this Website are the property of Getstock and/or its licensors and content providers and copyright in this Website belongs to and remains with Getstock at all times. Except as explicitly permitted under this or another agreement with Getstock, no portion or element of this Website or its contents may be copied or retransmitted via any means and this Website, its contents and all related rights shall remain the exclusive property of Getstock or its licensors and content providers unless otherwise expressly agreed.
2. The images on this Website can be licensed to you for various specific uses ("Licensed Material"). If you wish to acquire certain licensed rights to Licensed Material available on this Website, such use is subject to these terms and conditions and your use of this Website indicates your agreement to these terms and conditions. If your actions are on behalf of your employer or other third party, than all terms and conditions apply to you and your employer and/or any other third party whosoever.
3. To download Licensed Material, you must become a registered user. By obtaining and using a login and password to access images on this site, you are entering into a binding agreement with Getstock and these terms and conditions together with any terms and conditions set out in the Rights-Managed Licence Agreement or the Royalty Free Licence Agreement apply to your use of the Licensed Material.
4. When you select Licensed Material to download, Getstock is granting you a nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonsublicensable licence to use the Licensed Material, subject to these terms and conditions and subject to any restrictions of use specified on this Website and as indicated in a Rights-Managed Licence Agreement or in a Royalty Free Licence Agreement (collectively, the "Licence Agreements"), which restrictions shall also appear on the invoice provided to you. The Licence Agreements and invoice may include, without limitation, the Licensed Material selected, any limitations on the licence in addition to those specified herein and the price for the licence of the Licensed Material. You do not acquire any right, title or interest in or to the Licensed Material and you will not make, authorize or permit any use of the Licensed Material, other than as specified therein.
5. The Licensed Material may not be digitally stored, altered, transmitted or reproduced in any form, except as specifically licensed. Please note that images designated as being Toronto Star images ("Toronto Star Images") are available for editorial use only. No commercial, promotional, political, wireless, or advertising use is permitted as there are no releases available for the Toronto Star Images.
6. Full credit and copyright information must remain with the Licensed Material and all uses of the Licensed Material must indicate the applicable credits, which shall include any indicated year of copyright, photographer's name and agency name.
7. You may not sell, rent, lend, sublicense, or otherwise transfer any Licensed Material or the right to use or reproduce the Licensed Material. The Licensed Material is being provided only for use by end user customers or their agents. You agree to take all commercially reasonable steps to prevent third parties from duplicating or distributing the Licensed Material.
8. The Licensed Material may not be used for any pornographic, defamatory, fraudulent, lewd, racist, obscene or otherwise illegal manner, including but not limited to infringing on any third party intellectual property or privacy rights or rights of publicity, whether directly or in context or by juxtaposition with other materials.
9. You also acknowledge and agree that:
(i) Getstock and its licensors and content providers give no representations or warranties whatsoever as to the existence of any releases, including but not limited to model releases, property releases or location releases, associated with any Licensed Material and you are solely responsible for obtaining same and the licence to use the Licensed Material is conditional in each case on you obtaining them.
(ii) Getstock and its licensors and content providers give no representations or warranties whatsoever with respect to the use of names, people, products, trademarks, logos, uniforms, registered or copyrighted designs or works of art depicted in the Licensed Material and you must satisfy yourself that all necessary rights, consents or permissions as may be required for reproduction are obtained. The licence to use the Licensed Material is conditional in each case upon you obtaining all and any required releases, consents or permissions.
(iii) Getstock and its licensors and content providers do not warrant the accuracy of the captioning, keywording or any other information associated with the Licensed Material.
10. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Getstock and its licensors and content providers and its and their directors, officers, employees, parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors and agents from and against any losses, liabilities, damages or expenses of any kind whatsoever which any such person may sustain or become subject to as a result of or arising directly or indirectly from your use of the Licensed Material, other than uses specifically permitted by Getstock and except in respect of any claims relating to the copyright in the Licensed Material.
11. Getstock and its licensors and content providers and its and their respective directors, officers, employees, parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors and agents shall not be liable for any indirect, consequential, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of the use of, or the inability to use the Licensed Material, even if they have been advised of the possibility of such damages or any economic loss, interruption or loss of service. In no event shall Getstock's and its licensors and content providers and its and their respective directors, officers, employees, parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors and agents (whether in tort, contract or otherwise) liability arising out of or relating to your use of the Licensed Material or inability to use the Licensed Material exceed the fees paid by you for the licence of the Licensed Material. Some US states and foreign countries do not permit the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or liability for certain categories of damages. Therefore, some or all of the limitations above may not apply to you to the extent they are prohibited or superseded by state or national provisions.
12. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, GETSTOCK IS PROVIDING THIS WEBSITE ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS AND MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, IN ANY CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENTS, OR ANY WEB SITE OR CONTENTS WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED. GETSTOCK DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTION OF THE WEBSITE OR ITS CONTENTS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, OR THAT THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVERS THAT MAKE IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE, SHALL GETSTOCK BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF INCOME OR PROFIT, LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, OR FOR ANY DAMAGES OF ANY KIND OR CHARACTER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY COMPENSATORY, INCIDENTAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES), EVEN IF GETSTOCK HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE WEBSITE, ITS CONTENTS, OR ANY WEBSITE OR CONTENTS WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED. IN NO EVENT SHALL GETSTOCK'S TOTAL LIABILITY FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, AND CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE, EXCEED THE AMOUNT PAID BY YOU FOR ACCESSING THIS WEBSITE. Some US states and foreign countries do not permit the exclusion or limitation of implied warranties or liability for certain categories of damages. Therefore, some or all of the limitations above may not apply to you to the extent they are prohibited or superseded by state or national provisions.
13. You agree that Getstock, in its sole discretion, may suspend or terminate your password, account, or use of the Website at its convenience or for any reason. You agree that any suspension and/or termination of your access to the Website may be effected without prior notice and that Getstock will not be liable to you or to any other person as a result of any such suspension or termination.
14. These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law. The Website is controlled and operated by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. Its offices are located in Ontario, Canada. If you choose to access this Website from another location, you are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable. You agree that any action at law or in equity arising out of or in connection with these terms and conditions or the Website shall be filed only in the provincial or federal courts located in Ontario, Canada and hereby submit to the nonexclusive jurisdiction of such courts. You also agree that regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to use of the Website or the terms and conditions must be filed within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.
Except where prohibited by applicable law, you agree to waive any right you may have to commence or participate in any class action against us related to any claim and, where applicable, you also agree to opt out of any class proceedings against us.
Rates and rights must be negotiated before use, other than those uses described above. All photographs and rights not expressly granted in writing remain the exclusive property of the photographer and are limited to one-time use. GetStock requests that a credit reading "ęPhotographer's Name / Getstock.com" appear adjacent to the Images or on an obvious credits page or screen. Missing and/or incomplete credits are susceptible to additional charges. Notwithstanding the License Grant above, you may not: Sublicense, re-license, rent or lease any of the Images; Copy or publish any of the Images to a network or bulletin board, or otherwise distribute or allow any of the Images to be distributed to or used by anyone other than the authorized users, without prior written consent from GetStock; Use any of the Images for any form of pornography, or in a libelous, defamatory, fraudulent, infringing, or otherwise illegal manner; Use any of the Images to promote a business that sells or licenses photographic images, or otherwise competes with GetStock in any manner; Use an Image in a manner that implies endorsement of a product or service unless you request and receive a copy of a model release for all recognizable individuals and private property depicted in the Image; or Ship, transfer or export any of the Images into any country or use any of the Images in any manner prohibited by any export laws, restrictions or regulations.
Royalty Free license agreement
Rights Managed license agreement
Budget/Microstock Royalty Free license agreement
GetStock fully respects your rights to privacy and utilizes the following practices in regards to any information we are provided or obtain about users of this website. In order to fulfill licensing transactions or provide service to you as a customer of GetStock, we may require you to provide certain information to us. Common items may include, but are not limited to, your name, address, phone number and credit card number. By providing this information to GetStock, you are agreeing to allow us to utilize this information to complete all transactions you request through this website and to disclose that information and details of all such transactions to GetStock, our subsidiaries, affiliates and any necessary payment processors. Because of the nature of the Internet, such data may pass through any country.
back to top
Information we collect from this web site.
We collect personally identifiable information about you when you visit the site and input information, whether you are registering to use the site, enrolling or signing up for features and functions, ordering or purchasing images or in the course of any other exchanges of information, transactions and activities. We may use the information we obtain from you, including personally identifiable information, to tailor your experience on the site, to display content we think may be of interest to you or to let us customize what you see when you visit the site, according to your preferences.
When you visit this web site, some information may be collected automatically as part of the site's operation, such as your IP and e-mail addresses as well as navigational details. Your name, postal address, phone number, e-mail address, password and other information are collected when you register online with GetStock.
If you wish to license an image from GetStock your username, password, full name, telephone number, e-mail address and postal address, your credit card number and other personally identifying information is collected to complete the license agreement or to receive products or services. On occasions, we may use certain account information such as credit card number and company information of authorized users to conduct credit inquiries.
From time to time GetStock may ask you questions about you or which might relate to your user preferences. This information may be linked to your personal information. Providing this kind of information is always voluntary. GetStock also collects your orders, your searches and selections and other account information as part of your sales history with us. We do this in order to better serve you and improve the use of the GetStock web site. We may also compile data in aggregate form so that we may better understand the users that are visiting our web site.
How we use the information we collect.
We may use information in any of the following ways :
1. For the purposes for which you specifically provided the information including, for example, to enable us to process, validate and verify orders for images.
2. To send you e-mail notifications about our new or existing products and web site, special offers, or to otherwise contact you.
3. To enhance existing features or develop new features, products and web sites.
4. To provide advertisers and other third parties with aggregate information about our user base and usage patterns.
5. To allow us to personalize the content and advertising that you and others see based on personal characteristics or preferences.
We may combine the information that we collect from you on the site with information that you provide to us in connection with your use of our other products or web sites.
We may hire other companies to provide services on our behalf including, without limitation, facilitating some aspects of the web site, sending e-mail and fulfilling purchase requests. These other companies may be supplied with or have access to your personally identifiable information solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf.
We may use third parties, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, to deliver ads to you on our behalf. These third-party ad servers may be supplied with or have access to your personally identifiable information solely for the purpose of providing these services to us or on our behalf. They also may also collect and use non-personally identifiable information about your visits to the web site and other web sites in order to present advertisements that may be of interest to you.
We may disclose and use personally identifiable information in special circumstances where it is necessary to enforce our End User License Agreement (for example, when necessary to protect our intellectual property rights).
Our web site may include discussion forums or other interactive areas or services, including blogs, chat rooms, bulletin boards, message boards, online hosting or storage services or other areas or services in which you or third parties create, post or store any content, messages, comments, materials or other items on the sites ("Interactive Areas"). If you use an Interactive Area, you should be aware that these areas are open to the public and any personal information you post or provide at registration may be viewable by others. We are not responsible for personal information you submit in connection with the Interactive Areas, nor are we responsible for how others might use that information, including to send you unsolicited messages. Interactive Area postings may be retained indefinitely. If at any time you would like to remove a posting, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep in mind that removal of a posting from an Interactive Area does not mean that the posting will be deleted from our systems.
If you register on our web site, you may occasionally receive e-mail messages about the web site that are intended to assist you in making the most out of your registration. Such e-mail messages may contain a link that you may use to opt-out of receiving further such messages.
GetStock uses "cookies" to enable you to sign in to our services and to help personalize your online experience. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard drive. Cookies contain information, including personal information, that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. The information that cookies collect can include the date and time of your visit, your registration information, and your navigational and purchase history. Cookies are not linked to you as an individual and cannot be used to track where you have been either before or after you visit (none).
Cookies offer you many conveniences. They allow us to identify registered users when they return to the site so that they can retrieve previous image search results, access lightboxes and view their previous invoices. Cookies also save you time by eliminating the need to repeatedly enter the same information.
Most browsers allow you to decline cookies, but if you elect to do so, certain pages and user features such as lightboxes may not display properly. You are free to delete cookies after your session. Your browser should contain instructions on how to do this.
Ads for this web site.
When you view an ad for this web site on other sites, our third-party advertising company may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. The web site and our advertising company may also use web beacons (invisible images often referred to as pixel tags or clear GIFs) to note which web site pages you visit after viewing our ads. Once again, the information that is collected through the use of these images is not personally identifiable and is used only to track response to our advertising efforts.
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information and while no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure from intrusion, we have used, and will continue to use, commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the protection of your information. We continually assess new technology for protecting information and, when appropriate, we upgrade our information security systems.
Reviewing, updating or correcting your information.
If at any point you wish to access your personal information to (1) change your preferences, (2) review the accuracy or (3) correct, supplement or modify your information, you may inform us at email@example.com.
Links to other web sites.
We may link to web sites, including those of our subsidiaries and content providers, that have different privacy policies and practices from those disclosed here. We assume no responsibility for the policies or practices of such linked sites and encourage you to become acquainted with them prior to use.
GetStock does not intend to either solicit or collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are under 18, you should not use or enter information on this web site.
We may disclose personal information when required by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the edicts of the law or to comply with a legal process served on our web site.
back to top